Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I say thee, NAY!

Well, I have to start this post off by congratulating myself on putting off my first actual post for three days, so go me. I'm probably going to be messing around with the design and layout as well over the next few weeks, so if something works, or doesn't, just let me know. But anywhoo, on to the crap you don't care about.

Today we're going to dip our toes into the magical world of comic adaptations. Specifically, the new Thor movie coming out next year. Let me go ahead and get out of the way the fact that I am an unapologetic DC fan boy, but I'll be damned if this trailer doesn't give me shivers:

Sorry, I tried to embed the video, but it says the content is deleted when I do it. For your inconvenience, here's a link to the video. Thanks for the FAIL alltrailers.net

Now this is how you get someone excited about a comic book movie! Especially if it is for a character that doesn't quite carry the name recognition of Spider-Man, Superman, or Batman. The trailer makes it seem like the movie is going to be an epic, from the grandeur of Asgard to the hi-jinks of the Norse Gods on Earth.

Now before I had said that I'm a DC fan boy, that doesn't mean that I totally ignore Marvel comics. While growing up, there was a second hand bookstore that sold comics on the cheap, most were Marvel, and most were from the 60's and 70's. The comics were often in horrible condition with the covers missing, but that didn't matter to this strapping young lad. So when I see things like the Destroyer and Loki's helmet in this trailer, my inner child is squealing with glee. There's been some rumbling on the internet in the message boards and comment sections about the costumes. I myself don't quite get the discontent, as you can just see the Kirby influence on them. I find it admirable that the costume designers are paying respect to the man that helped bring to life countless of iconic characters, so kudos to them! But that's the problem with fan boys, they are impossible to please.

Next year is already shaping up to be a pretty good year for the comic movie. You have Thor, Captain America, and the Green Lantern movie. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I'm concerned about. I'll probably actually do a post about the Green Lantern movie here in the near future, as GL is my favorite super hero. For that reason alone I am heaping all kinds of unwarranted and unrealistic expectations on that movie. But back to Thor, color me excited. I'm sure my friends will get sick of me talking about how excited I am for it until it is finally released.

No comments:

Post a Comment